Director of Mission Advancement
Greenville, SC - September 21, 2021
Contact InformationName: Ava Smith
The Director of Mission Advancement leads the agency in the development and implementation of the comprehensive fundraising strategy for its $3 million operating budget. The Director of Mission Advancement manages all development systems and strategy, including donor relations and management, agency marketing and communications, event management, corporate philanthropy, and major fundraising appeals. This position supervises our Mission Advancement team including the Assistant Director of Mission Advancement (major gifts), Community Resource Manager (grants), and Mission Advancement Coordinator (donor processing and acknowledgement, support, and communications).
The Director of Mission Advancement keeps a holistic view and understanding of United Ministries’ agency-wide mission and vision and how the work of mission advancement supports and enhances those areas. Candidates must have experience engaging a Board of Directors as strategic thought partners in actively advancing annual fundraising goals for United Ministries. The Director of Mission Advancement will work with the Mission Advancement staff and volunteers to secure new donors at all levels with a focus on increasing United Ministries’ unrestricted funding and alignment for long-term financial stability and growth of the organization. This position supports the execution of major events with a focus on curating the donor experience.
Fundraising Strategy, Events, and Management
• Develop and lead an annual mission advancement plan and strategy including individual, corporate, and congregational donations, grants, direct appeals, and fundraising events.
• Work proactively and creatively, with a willingness to try new things.
• Using the Raiser’s Edge database, develop and implement a systematic donor cultivation and stewardship program leveraging donor portfolio assignments, consistent and regular touchpoints, prospect management and effective lapsed donor strategy.
• Cultivate new individual, corporate, congregation, and foundation donors to increase annual giving, including a corporate giving program.
• Nurture outreach with current donor relationships and strengthen the development of how the agency appreciates its donors.
• Plan and coordinate staff, board, and volunteer support for 2 annual signature events and several smaller events throughout the year, with an emphasis on recruiting and involving Board members and volunteers in the planning and execution of those events (and other fundraising activities).
• Oversee grant writing efforts to generate revenue from private and corporate foundations and ensure that United Ministres is in compliance with all grant reporting requirements.
• Oversee daily gift processing, gift-in-kind processing, and the donor acknowledgement process.
• Supervise accurate record keeping of donor information and donor acknowledgment, both for integrity and for accurate reporting, including the agency’s gift acceptance policies.
• Review and update the agency Raiser’s Edge User’s Manual annually.
• Manage and supervise the mission advancement team, including planning, reviewing, and supporting the work of others; maintaining standards; coordinating activities; allocating personnel; coaching; and providing performance accountability .
Board and Community Relations
• Work alongside the Executive Director and Board nominating committee to recruit new board members.
• Deliver a monthly Mission Advancement report to the Board of Directors.
• Work with the Executive Director and the Finance Committee to strategically plan for the future reserves and endowment of the agency, including keeping the agency’s gift acceptance policies updated.
• Oversee all agency communications, including press releases, newsletters, and annual reports to keep the agency and its programs visible in the community.
• Work closely with the Executive Director to strengthen and maintain working relationships with supporting congregations, starting with the top 10 and growing from there.
• Lead the monthly Mission Advancement committee of the Board and attend the monthly Community Relations committee.
• When needed, represent the agency at community events and engagements, speaking and presenting about the work of United Ministries when necessary.
Marketing and Communications
• Provide strategic direction and leadership to all external messaging, including print materials, social media, and website.
• In partnership with external resources, create and publish the agency annual report, donor acknowledgement letters, content for gift appeals, materials for events, as well as agency brochures, rack cards and other collateral pieces.
ESSENTIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Minimum 5 years of relevant experience with a proven track record of securing major gifts, including multi-year commitments from a variety of funders.
• Bachelor’s Degree in a relevant field.
• Proficiency with Raiser’s Edge fundraising software and Microsoft Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
• Thorough knowledge of current fundraising techniques and trends, including tax laws pertaining to gifts/donations, and grant writing experience.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Ablility to build relationships, sell and secure commitments, manage difficult or complex situations and/or people with tact, confidence, and diplomacy.
• Ability to supervise professionals and provide leadership, vision, and support to the overall mission advancement strategy and function.
• Availability to represent United Ministries at community gatherings, including some weekend and evening functions.
• Flexibility and willingness to take on additional duties/responsibilities and handle multiple tasks/projects with shifting priorities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment.
• Self-starter who can work independently with minimal direct supervision and who can at the same time work well with a team.
• Well-developed interpersonal and communication skills and willingness to communicate with a wide variety of individuals – from program participants to donors.
• Ability to manage data with accuracy.
• Organized, responsive, analytical, and attentive to detail.
• Strong ethical standards; ability to create trust and integrity with co-workers, customers and community.
• Regular and sustained attendance.
BENEFICIAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
• Certified Fund Raising Executive (CFRE).
• Knowledge of the Benevon Model.
• Database management experience.
• Knowledge of Adobe Photoshop.
• Excellent team collaboration skills.
• Salary to be commensurate with experience.
WE ALSO OFFER THE FOLLOWING TO ALL FT EMPLOYEES:
• 90% employer paid medical plus the option of dental/vision (employee covered)
• STD/LTD (employer paid)
• Voluntary life
• 15 days of annual PTO (with 20 days per year after 3 full years of employment and 25 days per year after 6 full years of employment)
• 11 holidays
Immediate Need - apply right away, if interested!
Job Type: Full-timeReturn to List Printable Version